Monday, February 7, 2011

Abigail Update

Hello, everyone! For those of you who haven't had a chance to read Kevin's blog, you'll want to go here first.

Let me start out with -- Abigail is GREAT. She's recovered completely from her "episode" (that's what the pediatrician called it) on January 25th and is back to her normal self, for which we are extremely grateful.

In preparation for her EEG on February 2, we had to keep her awake all night.  She survived THAT more easily than her parents did! She got to watch TV and play computer games with Kevin while I slept, then Kevin got to catch a few hours of sleep while Abigail and I played Wii and had French toast and scrambled eggs for breakfast...at 4:30 a.m. After Kevin and the other girls headed of to work and school, Abigail and I headed to her appointment. I got to stay with her while they were getting all the electrodes hooked up and the technician explained what was going to happen, then I waited in the lobby while the actual test occurred. When the technician brought Abigail out to me after the test, I asked if she was ready to go home to bed. She said, "Nope -- I'm more hungry than tired!" So I fed her and put her to bed. By school time on Thursday, she was well rested and recovered.

We got a call from our pediatrician's office on Friday with the test results. The tests showed "abnormal activity." When the nurse said this, she added, "like little seizures." The next step for us now is an MRI. We have that scheduled for February 9, right away in the morning. Then, we will head to Bismarck on  February 16, with all of our tests in hand, to meet with the pediatric neurologist.

Abigail is in really good spirits and doesn't seem at all concerned about the tests or the situation. After Kevin and I explained the EEG results and what would be happening next, I asked Abigail if she had any questions. Her question was, "When do we leave for Bismarck on February 16?" I explained that we would leave at noon for our afternoon appointment. "We wash our hands and prepare to go to lunch at 11:45 a.m. If we leave at noon, I won't have time to eat." You can see where Abigail's priorities lie!

We'll keep everyone updated as we learn more -- but we don't really expect to know anything more until after we meet with the neurologist on February 16. All of your positive thoughts and prayers are greatly appreciated!

Love,
Susan Lynn

2 comments:

Patti said...

Susan, Kevin and girls:

We are thinking of you and keeping you in our prayers. Keep us posted.

Love,

Patti

Anonymous said...

We definitely have you in our prayers! Abigail sounds like a trooper and I agree I would want to know about lunch also. Please keep us all posted!

Love to all
Jake