Sunday, March 17, 2013

Summer's on the Way!

It doesn't feel or look like it in MN, especially with the latest snowfalls the past 2 weeks, but spring is just around the corner which of course means starting to plan for summer.

My mom mentioned several of you were talking about making a trip to MN/WI for a cabin vacation. Send us your dates sooner rather than later so we can mark it down on our calendar. A trip to Target Field is also a highly recommended must if you haven't visited yet for a Twins game! As empty nesters, my parents have lots of room for you to crash at their place and I am sure would enjoy the company!

Just so you know, one weekend that my parents will not be available to go to the cabin is the weekend of July 27/28. But they can always join you during the week if that is the only weekend that works for you. The weekend of August 17th is also not available.

Other news


Mary continues to do well in S. Sudan. She always has lots of stories to share with us - there never seems to be a dull moment! She seems to still be enjoying it, but is looking forward to her next leave. She gets 2 weeks of leave every 3 months where she has to leave the country. Her last leave coincided with Christmas, so we enjoyed spending 2 weeks with her before she headed back for another round of adventures. Her next one begins on Friday, so the whole family plus Robyn is going to meet her in Tanzania for a 10 day safari. Yes, even my mom is going! She was on the fence about going, but as John reported "it may be the last time we have a family vacation before Joe does something like pack up and move to Mexico." Not sure if that was what convinced her to go along or not, but she has made it very clear that we should not expect any other vacations from her after this. For my dad's sake, keep your fingers crossed that nothing goes wrong or he won't likely live to tell about it.

John and Joe are also doing well. I think it is safe to say Joe's the only one thrilled about the latest snowfalls as he is still doing snowplowing and shoveling. They, along with Robyn, will be staying for a few more days to visit Zanzibar with Mary. Since I could only get so many days off of work, I have to return on April 1st. When given the option to stay longer or return with me, my mom chose to return sooner rather than later. My dad too decided he better jump on the bandwagon and also leave with us. I suspect he doesn't have much faith in his other children's traveling skills but just won't admit it...

I am continuing to enjoy my first year as a preschool teacher in a school district-run preschool. Those on facebook know I have my hands full with my students. Fortunately, they never fail to be entertaining. I have 4 classes of 4 and 5 year olds, 17 in each class. It's an inclusive classroom, so I have 3-4 students that are in the early childhood special education program. I'd say 2 of the 4 classes are pretty functional, whereas the other 2 classes manage to test my sanity daily despite having up to 6 adults in the classroom trying to keep things under control. Needless to say, I am looking forward to summer when I return to teaching camps in St. Paul parks.

Frank and Pat have been put to the test on whether or not they can be trusted with any future grandchildren based on how they have done with my dog. They aren't being too convincing that they are up for the task, as so far Zoey has gotten everything she wants and has become more demanding than ever...

Good luck to everyone with their March Madness picks! We're all looking forward to another fun competition, although we are planning on keeping the trophy here in MN for another year:)

-- Posted by Anna

No comments: