Tuesday, March 3, 2009

News from Lucille and Mary

I am hoping I am getting this right- It seems like I have to re-learn every time I want to blog. I am posting however, because I got a call from aunt Lucille tonight and I knew I would not have time to call everyone.

First of all she left a message on my home phone that said "This is Lucille give me a call tonight or tomorrow whenever you have time." I had gone to Bismarck today with a client so thought it must not be an emergency - I will call her tomorrow. Then I realize I have a missed call on my cell phone from her and thought- I better call now. Lucille said she had a few pieces of information that we may want to know about

First Marleen(Kommes) Vick & Verna's daughter had had open heart surgery February 17th in Minneapolis. They had found a calcified lump in her heart. She is in re-hab in Minneapolis at the present time, but doing well. Hopes to be going home by this next week. Second- on February 26th Karen (Johnson) had a breast removed. They are very confident they got all the tumor and she does not have to have any radiation or chemo. Lucille said she had been doctoring for quite some time before they finally did the surgery. She said both Karen and Bob are doing well. Bob had been home for the surgery etc and has not been taking any long runs. She said at Christmas Karen was looking pretty bad - had lost quite a bit of weight etc, She did say she talked to Karen recently and she has gotten her appetite back ( for chocolate anyway and has gained 10 pounds) Lucille said she needed it.

Finally ( this is the Kommes in her) She has been having some stomach problems and went to her doctor in Madison for some test ( including a colonascopy(sp?)-which was her first) and they discovered several polyps. They removed quite a few and none were cancerous, however they did tell her she had a cluster of polyps on her intestines, when she asked why they didn't remove them - they said they were worried about doing damage to her intestine wall. So she is going into the hospital in Madison March 11th to have 6" of her intestine removed. ( Really this is exactly how the conversation went.) She seemed in positive spirit, although I could hear a crackling in her voice.

I asked how Corlyn was doing and she said he had said - he wanted to be the one taking her down to Madison (Richie is coming over to take her there and staying for the surgery) Joyce had asked if maybe the bus could bring Corlyn over , but Lucille said it would be too long of a day for him and she would be more worried about him than anything else. She will be in the hospital a week and Corlyns sister said she will go over every day and have lunch with him. Lucille said he is doing very well.

I also received a letter from Aunt Mary on Monday - had told Jake about it last night. Basically she was guilting me into writing a letter. She basically told me for lent she had decided she needed to write letters( I think she use to always clean her upstairs) and went on to say she had missed my "newsy" Christmas " letter but sure it had been "Lost in mail, or something. In her letter which mentioned none of the above she did say - Tom had gotten his voice back and needed to go to the Doctor again in 6 months. Not knowing what she was taking about I asked Lucille and she said Tom had had his corradid-(sp?) arteries fixed and after the surgery had no voice. The doctors wanted to go back in but he refused. Luckily his voice has returned - but Lucille said Mary said he now started smoking again.

Note: I really tried to correct all spelling & grammar errors- Patti but I could not even find some of these words in the dictionary & it is late, I am tired and I want to get this posted.

Love you all. Kathy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the update, Kathy!

Anonymous said...

Kathy, Thanks for the update. I left a message for Joyce to call me. Thought it would be good to get her viewpoint on Karen's and Lucile's situation. I'll let you know what I find out. I'll start thinking about when I can get out there. Probably April at the earliest.

Patti

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the info - hopefully everything will go good. Sounds like alot has been happening in South Dakota!
Love everyone
Jake