Saturday, June 2, 2012

Beginning of Summer

Summer is off to a great start here in MN! Everyone managed to make it up to the cabin for some portion of Memorial Day weekend to enjoy some boating, fishing, and golfing as we kicked off our 10th summer of having the cabin (time flies!). Although with all the different work schedules we only ended up having one night (Sunday) with everyone together.




It has been a rainy start to summer causing many rivers to flood, especially around the cabin. On Monday evening one storm moved quickly across the lake. My mom started worrying when she spotted the clouds, but my dad remarked that "they are just clouds." We pointed out to him tornadoes come from "just clouds." Fortunately the storm was fast moving and only lasted about 15 minutes before the calm water and sunny skies returned. It did bring strong winds, hail, and rain which sent us scrambling off the balcony for shelter.







I managed to catch 3 bass that have been nesting under the boats. Joe claims to have caught a Northern but for some reason he can never remember to snap a photo of his catch, so it falls under the "No one really believes it" category for our list of fish caught. While fishing I did come eye to eye with a huge musky (at least 3 feet long from what I could tell using the boat lift to judge its size). Unfortunately, it disappeared before I could snap a picture. The water is already 65 degrees, so they should be on their way out to deeper water.



Cody, Christy, Matthew, Katie, and Nathan arrived on Tuesday night for Katie's Mayo visit. We had a fun few days visiting with everyone! Katie showed off just how far she has come by informing Patti "I don't want pizza I want hot dog!" And Matthew's interest in dinosaurs likely took a hit with the visit to the dinosaur exhibit at the zoo. He said "It was OK. But it would have been better if they didn't blink, or move, or roar. Or if there wasn't any mist." Next time he suggested looking at just bones instead. Then again, he may have a new opinion of the exhibit now that he has a good chunk of distance between him and them.

Mary heads back to Africa (South Sudan) tomorrow for work. She'll be there for at least a month. Hopefully for both her sake and my mom's, it is an uneventful trip!

By the way - the posting instructions are a bit different with the new design. I made up a new instruction sheet so if you are having trouble - email my mom and she will send it your way. For those who haven't mastered how to post on here, now would be a good time to try!






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing - as always the pictures are beautiful! It always makes me want to go back there!
Anna - please send me the new instructions!

Love to all
Jake

Anonymous said...

Anna, thanks for the update and the pictures are beautiful! Please tell Mary to have a safe trip -- we will keep her in our thoughts and prayers. Please tell your mom that I would love the new instructions -- I lost the old ones so really need new ones.

Love to all,
Laura

Anonymous said...

Anna, I'll need the new instructions since I was going to send a picture of the 32" Northern Audrey caught this weekend. I agree with your Dad, They are only clouds.
Love Uncle Terry.