Thursday, January 28, 2010

Update on Kate

Hi Everybody,

Just wanted to let you know what we found out for Kate. The tests they did at Mayo, which are quite a bit more high tech than what has been done in Bismarck, showed that Kate is profoundly deaf in both ears. To help you understand, hearing impairment is classified as mild, moderate, severe, and profound - in that order. Profound is totally deaf. The belief is that her hearing has gotten progressively worse. They are saying she has no residual hearing left. I know at one time, her hearing aids were helping and she did turn to some sound so she has not always been profoundly deaf. It has just gotten worse over time. She is definitely a candidate for cochlear implants in both ears. We have tentatively set the date for surgery for March 23rd. We need to be there a day ahead of time for imaging studies (MRI and CT scan), as well as a physical. We could still be turned down if for any reason her physical structure of her middle ear, cochlea, and bone in that area is malformed or missing, or if she is missing any of her auditory nerves. We won't know that until the day before surgery. Surgery is considered outpatient, which is hard for me to believe as the surgery takes 4 to 5 hours and is very detailed. They plan on discharging her that day but ask us to stay in Rochester overnight so that they can remove bandages the next day before we head home. We then will return to Mayo two to three weeks after surgery so that they can activate her devices. They have a very high success rate for these implants and we were very impressed with the doctors and staff that we met at Mayo. I do believe Kate is in very good hands. Please keep her in your prayers that all goes well. I'll keep you posted.

Love to all,
Christy


P.S.: Patti, here are the pictures of my mom and dad's sunroom that they added on this fall. They are also having new kitchen cabinets put in later this winter and new appliances. It has really opened up their dining room area. One of my dad's favorite spots now is sitting in the rocking chair in the sunroom. Thanks again to your entire family for everything this past weekend! It's always fun to come visit!




2 comments:

Patti said...

The Sunroom looks fantastic, Audrey I know you must love it.

Christy and Cody, You know all of are prayers are with you and Kate. We love having your family visit.

Patti

Anonymous said...

Christy and Cody Thanks for the update and our Prayers and Thoughts are with you every day! Kate will come thru this just great because of all the love she has and the angels that watch over her everyday!

Audrey I love the sunroom - I was impressed when I saw it - I'm sure you can't wait until the new cabinets get in!

Love to all JAKE

PS As for football - I thought Favre made the games fun to watch - I was sick when he thru that interception but I'm like Matthew I still believe and I think he can play another year and win!!